Re: Why doesn't exist a 68k emulator in GDB?

Michael Meissner wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 11:48:31AM +0800, Peng-Sheng Chen wrote:
> >
> >    You say that two conditions must be met in order to include the simulator under GDB.
> >      1. a 68k emulator with GPL.
> >      2. author agrees to sign over the rights to the FSF.
> >    Why do we need the 2th condition?
> >    GPL should let us to use and modify programs under GPL, isn't it?
>
> Yes, but the FSF won't distribute it unless it is assigned the rights (ie, to
> be released as part of the GDB package).  You could write a GPL 68k emulator
> without assigning the rights and make your own release, which is all perfectly
> fine, but it can't be integrated in the master sources.

Well, the SIM directory isn't quite that strict :-)  See the FSF web
site for the criteria under which non FSF(C) packages will be
distributed.  Part of that criteria is that it be an independant module
- which most simulators are.

For the m68k, several simulators have been put forward but most were
knocked back because they were derived from an old university simulator
which had a (C) incompatible with the GPL.  I think a potential
candidate was eventually identified but nothing has since happened.  As
michael mentioned, testing on an old Sun3 is quicker/easier.

	Andrew