GDB 5.1 TODO list

Ok,

So here is a first cut at the things that are really on the 5.1 TODO
list.  In previous discussions it has been suggested that for each
release a small number of changes be identifed and completed (of course
everyone is activly encouraged to also work on any other TODO or
non-TODO items :-)

The other thing not mentioned in the below is that 5.1 also have a
slightly better organized release cycle.  I'd suggest something like:

	o	TODO list finished

	o	Maintainers publish current
		acceptable test results

	o	Branch

	o	Maintainers re-check
		their test results on branch.
		(And there be at least a week for this).

Having the patch/bug database and a test framework up would also be
nice.

	enjoy,
		Andrew

                        GDB 5.1 - Fixes
                        ===============

Below is a list of problems identified during the GDB 5.0 release
cycle.  People hope to have these problems fixed in 5.1.

--

RFD: infrun.c: No bpstat_stop_status call after proceed over break?
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00665.html

GDB misses watchpoint triggers after proceeding over a breakpoint on
x86 targets.

--

x86 linux GDB and SIGALRM (???)
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-q1/msg00803.html

This problem has been fixed, but a regression test still needs to be
added to the testsuite:
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-05/msg00309.html

Mark

--

Can't build IRIX -> arm GDB.
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-04/msg00356.html

--

Problem with weak functions
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-05/msg00060.html

--

GDB 5.0 doesn't work on Linux/SPARC

--

parse.c:build_parse() has a buffer overrun.

--

                GDB 5.1 - New features
                ======================

The following new features should be included in 5.1.

--

Enable MI by default.  Old code can be deleted after 5.1 is out.

--

Pascal (Pierre Muller, David Taylor)

Pierre Muller has contributed patches for adding Pascal Language
support to GDB.

2 pascal language patches inserted in database
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-q1/msg00521.html

Indent -gnu ?
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-q1/msg00496.html

--

Java (Anthony Green, David Taylor)

Anthony Green has a number of Java patches that did not make it into
the 5.0 release.  The first two are in cvs now, but the third needs
some fixing up before it can go in.

Patch: java tests
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00512.html

Patch: java booleans
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00515.html

Patch: handle N_MAIN stab
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00527.html

--

[Comming...]

Modify gdb to work correctly with Pascal.

--

Revised UDP support (was: Re: [Fwd: [patch] UDP transport support])
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-04/msg00000.html

(Broken) support for GDB's remote protocol across UDP is to be
included in the follow-on release.

It should be noted that UDP can only work when the [Gg] packet fits in
a single UDP packet.

There is also much debate over the merit of this.

--

                GDB 5.1 - Cleanups
                ==================

The following code cleanups will hopefully be applied to GDB 5.1.

--

Delete macro TARGET_BYTE_ORDER_SELECTABLE.

Patches in the database.

--

Fix copyright notices.

Turns out that ``1998-2000'' isn't considered valid :-(

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-05/msg00467.html

--

Purge PARAMS.

Eliminate all uses of PARAMS in GDB's source code.

--

printcmd.c (print_address_numeric):

NOTE: This assumes that the significant address information is kept in
the least significant bits of ADDR - the upper bits were either zero
or sign extended.  Should ADDRESS_TO_POINTER() or some
ADDRESS_TO_PRINTABLE() be used to do the conversion?

--

Compiler warnings.

Eliminate all warnings for at least one host/target for the flags:
-Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wtrigraphs -Wformat -Wparentheses
-Wpointer-arith -Wuninitialized

--

Follow through `make check' with --enable-shared.

When the srcware tree is configured with --enable-shared, the `expect'
program won't run properly.  Jim Wilson found out gdb has a local hack
to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but, AFAIK, no other project has been hacked
similarly.

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-q1/msg00845.html

--

                GDB 5.2 - Fixes
                ===============

--

                GDB 5.2 - New features
                ======================

--

                GDB 5.2 - Cleanups
                ==================

The following cleanups have been identified as part of GDB 5.2.

--

Eliminate more compiler warnings.

--

Restructure gdb directory tree so that it avoids any 8.3 and 14
filename problems.

--

Convert GDB build process to AUTOMAKE.

See also sub-directory configure below.

The current convention is (kind of) to use $(<header>_h) in all
dependency lists.  It isn't done in a consistent way.