Re: The debuggee's output

At 12:06 22/08/00 , you wrote:
>I've been debugging gdb5 with gdb5 in an attempt to figure out how it works
>and, more specifically, how gdb handles output from the inferior/debuggee. I
>can't find the functions that take care of this. Please could some one
>explain how it works.

GDB does nothing with debuggee's output.

  On basic system as Dos this will for instance result in a mixing of GDB
output and
the debuggee output on screen.
  On other system, you can define another screen output for the debuggee,
which avoid this mess.
(see "set tty" command on linux or
"set new-console" on cygwin win32)
But this doesn't change what I said above, GDB does not interfere with the
debuggee's
output (be it on screen, to a file or whatever else...)
unless you set some breakpoint, watchpoint or tracepoint on
the procedure that do this in the debuggee.

  There might of course be some exceptions, like if the debuggee
tries to write over a file opened by GDB itself, but this should normally
not happen.

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99