Re: Download procedures.

Fabrice Gautier <Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com> writes:

> I'm using gdb to do remote debug on a TCP connection. The stub on the other
> side is Redboot on a i386 PC. It seems it works, except that go as slow as
> 7kb/s on a 100Mbps network...
> I would like to determine what can be the cause of such a speed. [...]

The gdb remote protocol is a simple request/response system with
default-small packets.  Throughput is severely limited by round-trip
latency.  Some gdb parameters are available to increase the packet
sizes, but nothing to affect latencies.

	set remote memory-write-packet-size NUMBER
	set download-write-size NUMBER

However, these only help if the stub on the other side can accept
bigger packets.  Otherwise, you are out of luck.

- FChE