Re: How to adequately test 'sim' changes?

fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler) writes:
> : (1) What's the recommended method for testing 'sim' changes?  the
> : sim subtree seems to have a minimal testsuite, but I was hoping for
> : something more substantial?
>
> For simulators without their own tests, we normally rely on the
> cross-gcc and cross-gdb tests.  For this, you'd need to build the
> remainder of the cross toolchain (compiler/binutils/debugger), and
> run the respective tests against the sim.

Are there any details on how to configure and run those tests against
the simulator?  I've not had much luck in that regard, to be honest,
so most of my runs of 'make check' don't actually do much...

Also, should i be building everything from a single tree, from a
single tree for binutils + debugger & separate tree for gcc, or is all
independent trees OK?

> [ targets ]

great.

> : thanks!
>
> No, thank you!  (I presume you know about the copyright
> assignment/disclaimer procedure too.)

Yes; I (and any of other of my coworkers whose code will be submitted)
already have the proper assignment forms on file with the FSF, and
should be good to go to submit code and have it checked in once
accepted.

Getting that hairball taken care of was one of the first things I made
sure to do, when I embarked on this process.  8-)

chris