[Fwd: Preparing for the GDB 5.0 / GDB 2000 / GDB2k release]

[Please follow up to the general GDB mailing list]

Hello,

Given it is now almost a year since the last release of GDB (4.18) and
given also the number of significant internal changes made since that
release (event-loop, multi-arch, ui-out, ISO-C, obsolete code, ...), it
is now time to start anew the process of releasing a major version of
GDB - GDB 5.0.

As this release is being conducted entirely from the (new!) public CVS
repository I'm hoping that a more aggressive release schedule can be
achieved.  With that in mind, I've tentatively planned: two weeks of
patch resolution; the cutting of the 5.0 branch (2000-02-21?); one week
of last minute checks; and then the 5.0 release (29/2 2000-02-29?).
(Everyone is free to roll on the floor laughing at this point :-)

So, as Jason Molenda aptly wrote way back in '98:
> If you have patches that are ready to go in, but have not yet been
> submitted, please send them in now.  If you don't have your FSF copyright
> assignment paperwork submitted and on-file at the FSF, we probably won't
> have time to get significant contributions in for this release.
>
> If you sent in a patch, but have not heard anything and the patch is not
> in the latest snapshot [snip],
> please send it in again.  We have a backlog of patches which have not
> yet been evaluated, so we'll be going over those for the next few days.
> I'd rather have two copies of a patch than zero copies, so don't be shy.

It would be good to see this GDB release running on *Linux, *BSD and
cygwin as well as plenty of the more traditional UNIX platforms.

For your reference, general GDB information can be found at:

  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/

while a pre- checked-out CVS source tree containing both GDB and DEJAGNU
can be found at:

ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/gdb-dejagnu-pserver-2000-02-06.tar.bz2

Alternativly, the separate components:

ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/dejagnu-pserver-2000-02-06.tar.bz2

ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/gdb-pserver-2000-02-06.tar.bz2

are also available.  You will need to build (install) dejagnu before
running the GDB testsuite.

Finally, the GDB 5.1 release process is scheduled to start before July
'00 (if not much sooner!). If you have a major new port or contribution
then perhaphs 5.1 is the release you should be shooting for.

	enjoy,
		Andrew

--

Andrew Cagney (Red Hat)