Re: Dependence on config.status

> > Why does GDB need to be dependent on config.status, in addition to
> > config.h?
>
> I don't know and yes I agree with you.  I think it is just history.

Well, if memory serves, if you re-ran configure in such a way that
tm.h started linking to a different file, then the config.status
dependency was the only way to force a rebuild.  I think that is still
true (at least, I glanced through the Makefile.in and configure.in and
that's what it looked like).

Having said that, there is sometimes a tradeoff between having
dependencies correct and having them useful.  Making people type "make
clean" in certain obscure situations may not be all that bad (although
it tends to be pretty confusing as you usually don't realize what is
going on until GDB is acting in strange and inexplicable ways).