Re: changelog rotation...

> From: fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler)
> Date: 12 Jan 2001 11:38:01 -0500
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>
> : [...]
> : Anyway, I really don't understand the attitude.  [...]
> : Thousands of teenage programmers are exposed to Free Software through
> : using DJGPP.  [...]
>
> Really?  How would you compare the popularity of Win32 platforms to
> DOS for running GNU tools on?

I don't have any objective data to compare.  Perhaps DJ can contribute
some insight.

What I can tell is that the comp.os.msdos.djgpp news group generates
about 100 messages on any given day.  That's a clear sign of a large
number of users.

Note that many (probably most) users run DJGPP on some version of
Windows nowadays, since DJGPP programs are very nice console
applications (they support long file names on Windows).  I'm guessing
that they use DJGPP because it is very easy to set up and use: unzip
the files, set a couple of environment variables, and start coding.

> Why are Cygwin and DOS mentioned in the same sentence anyway?  Is it
> not the case that any machine that can run Cygwin is unaffected by the
> DOS 8.3 limits?  (VFAT!)

The file-name problem is indeed irrelevant to Cygwin.  But other
nuisances are common to DOS and Windows.  For example, some characters
are invalid in file names on both DOS and Windows, you cannot delete
an open file on some of the Windows version, etc.