GDB needs a --cmdline option

Hi all. I was just going through the pain of creating
--command files to run my program when it struck me (again)
that gdb should be able to handle this. Last year, I
posted a note about this, it generated some discussion
of how it could be implemented:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-05/msg00111.html

As far as I know, nothing has happened on this front so
I am back in an attempt to get it done or die trying.

I am willing to jump in the code and do some hacking
if folks could point me in the right direction and
tell me what bits to avoid. The features I need are:

1. The ability to pass program args on the command line.

Currently, I run `echo "set args arg1 arg2' > gdb.run ; gdb ...
--command=gdb.run`

2. The ability to have GDB run in a pipeline, if the
   program does nothing wrong then gdb would do nothing
   and return the exit() code of the program.

Currently, I need to go in by hand and figure out what
the stdin and cmd line args are for the Nth command
in a pipeline, it is really quite painful.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc