Re: GDB compile problem.

After a couple of rounds of e-mail, we figured out the problem:
on Alex Turner's system, there's an environment variable "CPP=g++".
The configure script uses "CPP" to run the preprocessor, which causes
a bunch of configury stuff to fail.

Note that "CPP=g++ -E" would probably work, but "g++" with no further
flags doesn't behave much like old school /lib/cpp.

The name "CPP" is fundamentally ambiguous.  Perhaps configure files
could test out the preprocessor (especially if it is user-specified)
and give a more clear error up front.  I'll sleep on it and then maybe
file an enhancement request for autoconf.

Michael