Re: Where is GDB going

Quality Quorum <qqi@world.std.com> writes:

> I agree that there should be a line in the sand, however, currently
> it is way far to the left. If people have intellectual property and
> trade secrets hardwired into their hardware, then they should be allowed
> to protect these secrets from disclosure by writing closed library
> obscuring details of their stuff.

Of course they should be.  RMS would agree 100%.  But you're missing
the point: if people make that choice, they have no right to expect a
free ride from Free Software.  What does Free Software (or the World
for that matter) gain by making it too easy for people to keep their
intellectual property secret?  The whole point of GNU to encourage
openness, not trade secrets.

Anyway, discussion about the morality of the GPL are not appropriate
to this mailing list.  Concrete questions about the licensing
implications of using Gdb remote stubs, probably ok, I guess.
--
	--Per Bothner