From: Boehm, Hans [mailto:hans_boehm@hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 10:58 AM
To: hboehm@napali.hpl.hp.com
Subject: [ia64-tools] Gdb error message

I'm trying to debug some miscompiled executables generated by gcj.  I'm
using gdb 5.0 from an rpm package gdb-5.0-7.  The executable is statically
linked, but multithreaded.

I seem to have gotten into a rut where almost anything results in the error
message:

internal error - unimplemented function unk_lang_create_fundamental_type
called.

This is after a few other errors on process startup:

warning: unable to set global thread event mask

rw_common (): write: No such file or directory.

warning: stop_or_attach_thread: generic error

Can anyone interpret this?  This seems like unfriendly behavior from gdb,
even if it's being fed garbage.  Is there a fixed version of gdb?  (I don't
know how correct or incorreect the gcj-generated debug information is.  I
recall seeing the process startup errors also with statically linked C code.
The behavior is the same whether I compile with -g or not.  It's different
on a stripped executable, but unsurprisingly that doesn't get far either.)

Thanks.

Hans