Re: gdb over ethernet

    From: "Noah Aklilu" <naklilu@ualberta.ca>
    Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 08:54:09 -0700

    Hi
	    I was looking through gdb's debugging interface and it all seems
    oriented to debugging over a serial port.  I would be interested in
    getting it working over ethernet (really over tcp/ip), that is
    connecting directly to the remote target over ethernet without a
    remote terminal server (as seems to be the current implementation).
    How horrible would it be to implement this and can it be done
    within the current framework?

    Noah.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking for, it's already
part of the standard gdb.

You mention not using a remote terminal server and connecting directly
to the target -- but GDB doesn't know what is at the other end!  From
GDB's perspective, there is NO difference between the two.

GDB only knows what it sent and what responses it got back -- it
doesn't know (nor care) what is at the other end.  Whether it is a
terminal server talking to the target over a serial line, a gdbserver
program, or the board directly, does not matter to GDB.