Re: [gdb5.1/MI] Query interface...

Andrew,

Both Project Builder and Insight offer a traditional GDB console as well
as the GUI interface to gdb.  In the case of Insight, the thought was
that once the GUI provided ALL the access that you could need to gdb's
functionality it would go away.  In the case of PB, we have pretty
strong feedback from our users that they REALLY like having the console
there...  So we will need to provide some way to run console commands,
WHILE using the MI as the communications channel between gdb & PB.  And
the use of query is at present a problem which we still need to solve.

So while I agree that the design of the MI itself, and of the libgdb
interface by extension - should avoid this kind of callback, I at least
need to think some more about how to support the CLI over MI mode for
the near future.  Tcl had the notion of service modes in its
interpreter, so that you could modally re-enter the event loop looking
for a particular bit of information, but not handling other types.  This
was needed, for instance, to do things like wait for Window creation in
Tk before you went on to do something with the window...  Maybe we could
use this sort of notion to post & wait on the input channel without
losing the local execution context?

Jim

On Monday, March 5, 2001, at 12:42 PM, gdb-digest-