Re: Cygwin GDB and Cisco format core file problems

Sumit> I have made my core dump files to adhere to the cisco
Sumit> format. Now when I use the cygwin provided gdb executable, and
Sumit> give it this file, gdb complaints unrecognised core format.

Even though the cisco core format claims to support supports i960,
mips, ppc, etc., the BFD configury only includes support for the
m68*-*-aout* target.  See bfd/config.bfd for details.

You will have to add an entry for cisco_core_{big,little}_vec to your
target's targ_selvecs definition; re-configure; and re-compile GDB.
Did you ever solve your problems where configure did not succeed on
your cygwin box?

Sumit> My guess that I am missing a step in which I have to tell GDB,
Sumit> that this is a file for i960 (bcoz the structure of the core
Sumit> file is processor dependent) but I am unable to identify how to
Sumit> do this. Also do we somehow need to tell GDB, that the core
Sumit> file adheres to Cisco format, or does GDB take care of trying
Sumit> to match the core file against all the supported formats.

GDB will iterate through all the compiled-in core file formats trying
to match the file.  So once it is added, it should just work.  That
being said, when I wrote support for redback's core dump format, I
ended up having to debug the cross GDB with a native GDB to figure
out why the core file wasn't being read correctly.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks