cvs server: waiting for anoncvs's lock in /cvs/src/src/gdb

Is there any reasonable way to prevent anoncvs from locking the
repository for prolonged periods of time?  I've just committed a small
change, and now I'm sitting before the terminal for 30 minutes staring at
``waiting for anoncvs's lock'' messages.  And it's not over yet.

This is ridiculous: anoncvs access to the GDB sources should not punish
the developers so much!

Is this a CVS limitation, or can something be done?