Re: GDB 5, pascal, seeg faulting, questions....

"Oldham, Adam" <adam.oldham@marconi.com> writes:

> I have a LARGE code base writtin in Pascal (GPC), Assembly(NASM) And C(GCC).
> Its currently being ported to linux as for both development and runtime
> environments.  When running the native executable created, the code base
> runs fine.  However, when running gdb on the executable, I get a ton of seg
> faults with my code before it reaches the point I want to break on.  So, one
> of my questions is, when you break on a thread other than the parent thread,
> do all the threads stop execution or do they continue execution even though
> one thread is stopped?
>
> Now, my next question is in regards to Pascal in GDB only.  I am using GDB
> development version 20010529 (which has all the string errors from last week
> fixed).  In pascal you can have pointers just like in C.  I have tested this
> on C code.  When you have a pointer in C it'll either print the value of
> what you are pointing to or print the contents of the structure being
> pointed to with no problem.  In a Pascal Code Base, when printing the
> contents of a variable on the GDB command line I get, "Attempt to
> dereference a generic pointer", when doing something like this: "(gdb) p
> Somepointer^".  Doing "(gdb) p Somepointer" does return the memory address
> sucessfully though.
>
> Also, are there any plans to allow pascal in gdb to not be case
> sensitive?
I believe there are case sensitivity changes in gdb already.
Ah, yes, here we  are.

set case-sensitive off

Right now, pascal is defaulting to case_sensitive_on, instead of
case_sensitive_off.

Just edit p-lang.c, search for case_sensitive_on, and change it to
case_sensitive_off,, and you should be in business.

> Also, If I modify some things, would there be enough interest that I should
> submit the changes?
Sure. Do it the right way, of course, and don't make it a bunch of
hacks.

> Thanks,
> ADam

> C. Adam Oldham              Marconi Commerce Systems Inc.
> Software Engineer           7300 West Friendly Ave.
> adam.oldham@marconi.com     Greensboro, NC 27420-2087
> Phone : 336.547.5952        Fax   : 336.547.5079
> This document contains confidential information of Marconi Commerce
> Systems Inc.  In consideration of the receipt of this document, the
> recipient agrees not to reproduce, copy, use or transmit this document
> and/or the information contained herein, in whole or in part, or to
> suffer such actions by others, for any purpose except with written
> permission, first obtained, of Marconi Commerce Systems Inc., and
> further agrees to surrender the same to Marconi Commerce Systems Inc.
> upon demand.

"I saw a subliminal advertising executive, but only for a second.
"-Steven Wright