Re: 5.1 NEWS

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > Clear and concise bug reports might help solve whatever problems you
> > see.
> Thanks for the hint. Again.

Sorry, given the lack of response to the previous hint, I thought my
message got lost.

> However, you speak of it as if these were a few isolated problems.
> They weren't.
> You get hit with them attempting to debug any pascal program, right
> from the get go (this is a pascal program i had compiled last time i
> tried this):

I don't even know what Pascal compiler did Pierre use for testing the
current support (was it really gpc?), so I cannot judge the problems you
present.

> (from p-exp.y, at the top)
>     - pascal string operations are not supported at all.
>     - there are some problems with boolean types.
>     - Pascal type hexadecimal constants are not supported
>       because they conflict with the internal variables format.
>    Probably also lots of other problems, less well defined PM */
> These are *serious* limitations.

Not unlike many others in GDB.  Problems with shared libraries,
multi-threading, and C++ come to mind.

> I'm also curious as to why I have to go to great lengths to prove
> this.

Because you know something others don't.  For example, I never use
Pascal, so I don't have time to read Pascal-related files in GDB.  For
the same reason, you probably don't know much about limitations of GDB in
the DJGPP port, so it's up to me to ``go to great lengths'' in order to
explain them, should that become an issue (as it happened a few times).