Re: 8 bit read

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> FYI, J.T.C. was working on infrastructure to teach GDB about memory
> attributes.  A basic framework is in place only nothing uses it.
> I believe his next step was to extend the protocol so that memory
> packets could include things like the read size.

I think we also need some programmatic interface to define memory
attributes.  Right now, the only way to do that is with an interactive
command, because the rest of the interface is private to memattr.c.

I was thinking about using memory attributes to allow GDB access to
segments outside the normal address space of the program being
debugged.  This would need some additions to the memory attributes,
but the real show-stopper is that there's no way to define regions and
attributes except interactively.