Re: Is the current gdb 5.1 broken for Linuxthreads?

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:36:06AM +0200, Eric Paire wrote:
> >
> > There is another difficulty on Linux which seems much more important than
> > these ones. There is no support for MT core dumps. As Linus has always
> > refused to add such functionality in the kernel (which is somewhat similar
> > with your simple interface to stop all threads), a solution should be though
> > of in the user space.
> >

> Try the current Red Hat kernel/ac kernel. They support it. The patch is
> very small. I am enclosing it here.

Thanks, I am aware of this patch that has been flying around for years.
I have never tested it, but I think that as you are able to know where
the faulty thread is (with bt), you should not be able to get a correct
stack trace of other threads (as their register state is not in the dump,
you do not know where to start the stack analysis). Just a guess which
makes me think that this patch is just a first step to a general
multi-threaded dump.

Thanks anyway for the info,
-Eric
P.S. I have always though that there should be a way to get the missing
information in a core dump, but the core dump is gonna be linuxthread-dependent
and not in the standard format of a multithreaded ELF core dump. Unfortunately,
I have not time left to make such investigation...
Web  : http://www.ri.silicomp.com/~paire  | Groupe SILICOMP - Research Institute
Email: eric.paire@ri.silicomp.com         | 2, avenue de Vignate
Phone: +33 (0) 476 63 48 71               | F-38610 Gieres
Fax  : +33 (0) 476 51 05 32               | FRANCE