Re: [rfc] Completion tests failing

> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:34:01 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
>
> I wanted to get a name that I knew would complete unambiguously, so I
> tried using '"break.', which ought to complete to '"break.c"'.  It
> completes instead to '"break.c ' - trailing space, no trailing quote.

Try this twice, one after the other, and you will see that only the
first time fails.  The second and all the successive times will
complete to `"break.c"'.

This is a known limitation of the current completion machinery: GDB
needs to set the correct word-delimiting characters, but Readline
doesn't give us a chance to do that before it breaks the user input
into words.  Thus, the first time our completion function is called,
the input is broken into words according to wrong delimiters.

We cannot fix this without some additional hooks provided by Readline.