Re: Advise needed on memory mapped control registers

> I'm changing gdb to work with a new CPU architecture that defines a bunch of
> (80) memory mapped control registers.  I have at least two options for
> refering to these registers in the debugger by name:
>
> 1. Have the assembler generate stabs for each control register name and
> address.  But then gdb will only know about the control registers when
> executable has debug info.
>
> 2. Create global symbols for each control register within gdb so that can
> use control register names regardless if debug info is available.
>
> Any opinions?

None of the above?

Several things you probably want to look at:

	o	multi-arch - unless this is a native target it will need to be
pure-multi-arch.  native targets need to be multi-arch, just not pure.
The m68hc11 is a good example.

	o	the recently added methods gdbarch_register_{read,write} and pseudo registers.

	o	the TODO file where there is a very long list of functions and global
variables that should be avoided.

enjoy,
Andrew