Re: [1.3.3] breaks serial i/o?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 04:10:03PM -0500, William A. Gatliff wrote:

> At this point, I would be happy just to be able to get Cygwin
> 1.3.2 back, but alas, I haven't found an archive of it anywhere
> on the 'net.

I've got a Cygwin source distro snapshot from a few months back
that we're distributing to our customers (along with arm-elf
toolchain) so they can do arm-elf development for our hardware
platform.  I personally haven't done remote stuff under Cygwin,
but others tell me it works. If you like, I could mail you a
CD, or I could put it on my ftp site.  I don't have enough
space for the whole thing, so I'd have to put the "contrib"
packages up seperately after you've grabbed the other stuff.

> To make matters worse, a magazine article I'm writing that
> describes how to use Cygwin and GNU tools for arm-elf
> development is set to appear in in the December issue of
> Circuit Cellar Ink magazine.  The article was written for
> 1.3.2, and won't currently work with 1.3.3 unless I can figure
> out what's going on by next Wednesday.  I really would rather
> avoid disappointing a new crop of Cygwin and GNU tool users.
>
> I'm developing patches for gdb-5.0, binutils-2.11.2 and
> gcc-2.95.3 to make them build under 1.3.3 (to fix the new
> export conflicts), but I haven't figured out what the problem
> with serial communications is. If I can't fix the problem, then
> the article is basically doa.

That's too bad.  Cygwin has had serial problems in the past,
and I remember people having to install specific Cygwin
versions to get serial ports to work under gdb (and I presume
other apps as well).

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com