Re: Can't build binutils with read-only source; Was: Linux GDB compilation problem

Hi Pierre,

  Your message has been forwarded to the binutils mailing list, since
  the opcodes library is officially part of that project.

> > Shouldn't it be possible to confugre and make even if
> > the source is on another mount or even only read-only
> > (on a cd-rom or owner by someone else ?)

  You are correct however, a simple build of the opcodes library, as
  part of GDB or for any other reason, should not try to modify the
  source directory.

> > A mv command fails because it tries to move a file
> > from my compilation dir into a subdir of the sourcedir.

  Can you provide some more information please ?  Which version of the
  binutils sources are you using.  (If you build the objdump
  disassembler program and run "objdump --version", this should tell
  you).  What file was the build process trying to move into the
  source directory ?

> > The precise location where this happens is in
> > [all-opcodes]
> >   [1] [all-recursive-am]
> >   [2] [all-recursive]
> >   [3] [POTFILES.in]
> >   [4] [po/POTFILES.in]

  The all-recursive-am target is for the automatic rebuilding of the
  Makefile.  In this case it would appear that make is trying to
  rebuild the Makefile.in or config.h files in the source directory.
  This would indicate that the timestamps on your Makefile.am or
  config.in files are wrong (or you have edited them).

Cheers
        Nick