Re: Stabs and discarded functions (was Re: Old bug with 'gdb/dbxread.c' and screwed up MIPS symbolic debugging...)

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

[snip]

> So it looks like binutils did not relocate the stabs for .text.exit properly.
>
> Why?  It's pretty simple; there was nothing to relocate it to.  From the
> kernel's linker script:
>
>   /* Sections to be discarded */
>   /DISCARD/ :
>   {
>         *(.text.exit)
>         *(.data.exit)
>         *(.exitcall.exit)
>   }
>
> So instead of the subtle error we get in objfiles containing multiple
> sections, which we'll still need to deal with for the kernel for
> .text.init, we have a completely bogus result.
>
> We need to discard the stabs records for discarded symbols.  Of course,
> we're just reading the psymtab in when we get here.  We don't have
> symbols yet.  We could do this by a second pass after reading, instead
> of the hack with textlow, but that's gross.
>
> This makes it impossible to debug at least MIPS kernels with stabs and
> gdb, so I very much want to fix it.  I'm not sure how this works on
> x86, but I'd guess it had to do with differences in relocation types.
> Anyone have an example handy?
>
> Meanwhile, Steven, as a quick hack - try removing the /DISCARD/ bit
> from your linker script and relinking.  What happens?  Does everything
> else seem to work?

Success! Yes, leaving those sections in allows for the debugger to work
properly. Here is output from a fresh gdb checked out of cvs this morning:

   GNU gdb 2001-11-01-cvs
   This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=mips-linux-elf"...
   (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS1
   Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS1
   0x80012c88 in breakinst () at gdb-stub.c:907
   907             __asm__ __volatile__("
   (gdb) bt
   #0  0x80012c88 in breakinst () at gdb-stub.c:907
   #1  0x8020aabc in brcm_irq_setup () at irq.c:421
   #2  0x8020aaf0 in init_IRQ () at irq.c:434
   #3  0x801fc83c in start_kernel () at init/main.c:524
   #4  0x801fd6f8 in init_arch (argc=160, argv=0xb3000000, envp=0x2,
       prom_vec=0xbf) at setup.c:425
   (gdb) c
   Continuing.

   Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
   #0  0x80012c88 in breakinst () at gdb-stub.c:907
   #1  0x8001a554 in sys_create_module (name_user=0x10001dc8 "brcmdrv",
       size=713264) at module.c:305
   (gdb) c
   Continuing.

So, it would seem according to you and Keith, we have a linker bug that
is specific to MIPS and other architectures that do not use PC relative
branches that needs to be resolved?

I also tried a fresh checkout of the insight debugger from cvs this
morning and it works great too. Thanks for the interim solution.  I
would like to be copied on remaining discussions including the design
of the fix/patch. Thank you everyone.

-Steve

--
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer