Re: Handling of structure dereferencing

> Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:07:39 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
>
> Right now, and historically, gdb has accepted things like:
>   struct foo {char a} *b, **c, ***d;
>
> (gdb) print b.a
> (gdb) print d->a

You mean, instead of b->a and (**d)->a, yes?

> So, straw poll: how would people feel about:
>  - not letting this happen; only explicit dereferencing

I don't mind in this specific case, but I wonder whether there isn't
some iceberg of which this is only a tip.  We do want GDB to continue
to print a string when you say "p str", and str is a pointer to a
string, right?  It's quite possible that the same machinery which
supports printing arrays also causes the above.