Question about controlling gdb remotely

Hello all.

I have a quiestion about gdb.
Is there a way to control the running gdb from outside it's command line (or gui)?
What I need is to control a running gdb from some script, while the normal cli (or gui)
control works also.
Is there something like vim's --remote-send?

I didn't understand whether gdbserver can work for this, but, anyhow, I failed to build it on my
Sparc Solaris 2.8 box.

Thanks in the future,

--
Best regards,