Re: [Fwd: gdb "call" very slow on large C++ program; 2 possible patches]

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:21:32AM -0500, Elena Zannoni wrote:
> Yes, something like that happened. I am thinking to send a patch to
> restore some sanity to this function. But...
>
> ...actually, I think that if search_symbols on FUNCTION_NAMESPACES is
> equivalent to make_symbol_overload_list(), we could just get rid of
> make_symbol_overload_list() *and* overload_list_add_symbol().
>
> It would be nice to clean this up.
>
> Daniel, does search_symbols produces a correct overload list? At first
> sight it would look so.

Well, I'm not immediately familiar with this code.  At first thought,
there might be some complexity because search_symbols takes a regexp,
but that's easily resolvable.  More importantly,
make_symbol_overload_list respects scope.  So no, the two are not
equivalent.

I found at least one more bug in overload_list_add_symbol (extraneous
realloc calls) while looking this over, though.  I also understand
where those loops came from, more or less; see make_completion_list.
This function (and its comments) need some housecleaning.