Remote debugging ( target : ARM7/linux ) (host x86/linux ) with JTAG emulator : how to choose ???????

Hi everybody,

I need help to understand and choose the right product.

I develop for an embedded target : a cyrrus logic CDB89712 card, it is
composed of an ARM720 ( cs89712 ), the OS on the board is linux BlueCat from
LynuxWorks.
I want to develop from a Linux Host.
I need a good debugging tool, to debug the kernel, and user applications,
with source code support.
For that i have chosen to use the JTAG bus of the ARM processor, but there
is a lot of emulators :

    - Macgraigor OCDemon
    - Lauterbach products
    - Abatron BDI2000
    - EPI JEENI
    - ...

I want to use GNU utils like GDB under linux.
Does someone know what are the difference between these components, the ones
which works well with GDB/Insight ?
This processor/OS use MMU, does it make a difference ?
What is the difference between the diffrerent protocols (Angel, ICE, RDI
...) ?
What is the difference between the diffrerent file format ( ELF, AIF, COFF
...) ?
Does remote debug really works the same way than  local mode ?
Can i debug the kernel easily, with the source files view ?

I know that's a lot of questions but i must decide and i'm in trouble ...

Thanks a lot by advance.

Thomas TESTASECCA
ETIC telecom
FRANCE

my e-mail : thomas.testasecca@etictelecom.com

I'm new, in the mailing, i don't really know how it works ;)