Re: Remote debugging ( target : ARM7/linux ) (host x86/linux ) with JTAG emulator : how to choose ???????

> I want to use GNU utils like GDB under linux.
> Does someone know what are the difference between these components, the
> ones which works well with GDB/Insight ?
Both the BDI2000 and the Jeeni work well with GDB/Insight.

> This processor/OS use MMU, does it make a difference ?
I'm only familiar with the ARM7TDMI, but it works fabulously!

> What is the difference between the different protocols (Angel, ICE, RDI
> ...) ?
In my experience Angel (and RDI, same thing) aren't as well supported under
GDB as the GDB remote protocol is. The Jeeni speaks RDI, the BDI2000 speaks
GDB. The BDI2000 also has a handy telnet terminal, for when you're having
trouble with GDB.

> What is the difference between the different file format ( ELF, AIF, COFF
> ...) ?
I'm only familiar with elf. It seems to be the most common format for ARM
targets. Works well.

> Does remote debug really works the same way than  local mode ?
> Can i debug the kernel easily, with the source files view ?
If by "kernel" you mean Linux kernel, I have no idea as I'm not running Linux
on my target. I am able to debug our in-house RTOS quite well though. I'd
even be willing to say it works *better* than local mode because you can step
through interrupt handlers much easier.

Cheers,
Shaun