Re: Remote debugging ( target : ARM7/linux ) (host x86/linux ) with JTAG emulator : how to choose ???????

Thomas:

>     - Abatron BDI2000

I have one of these, for CPU32, and I recommend it highly.

It's an ethernet-to-BDM/JTAG bridge, and it speaks gdb's native remote
protocol on the ethernet side.  It's easy to set up, and the best part
is that since it speaks the native protocol, the *standard* gdb runs
fine with it.  No patches, no b.s..  That would also include Insight
and DDD.

The bdi2000 has been great for me.  It's fast, sets up easily, and is
stable and reliable.  I use it to test debugging stubs, RTOS code and
interrupt handlers, and it just keeps coming back for more.  Abatron's
support has been excellent, too.

The OCDemon is similar, except I've heard from several places that it
is slower to download, and the information at http://www.ocdemon.com
makes it sound like you need a (binary) proxy to talk to it (see the
text "modified GDB and Insight" in the FAQ).  That's just one more
thing to break in the process, in my opinion.  I wouldn't go there.
In fact, I didn't.  :^)

> This processor/OS use MMU, does it make a difference ?

It may.

If you are debugging applications running under Linux (i.e. in an mmu
environment) on the target, then you'll probably use gdbserver, not
one of the widgets you mentioned above.  The BDI2000 et all will be
for KERNEL debugging, not APPLICATION debugging.

> What is the difference between the diffrerent protocols (Angel, ICE, RDI
> ...) ?

Basically the same differences as french vs. english vs. Klingon, in
no particular order.  It's just the name for the protocol spoken
between the debugger and the target.  It's always best if the two use
the same protocol.  :^)

> What is the difference between the diffrerent file format ( ELF, AIF, COFF
> ...) ?

The key difference is in how the symbol information in the image is
encoded.  If you debugger can't understand an ELF format, then you
can't do anything with that file.

> Does remote debug really works the same way than  local mode ?

No.

> Can i debug the kernel easily, with the source files view ?

Yes.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff