Re: [RFC] New gdb command 'gcore'

Andrew Volkov <Andrew.Volkov@transas.com> writes:

: [...]
: > Unfortunately in general a normal core file does not contain enough
: > information to allow a process to be restarted, since it doesn't
: > contain a lot of the information in the kernel which forms part of the
: > process' state.
: > [...]
:
: All this problems correct for remoute/native debugging, but how about
: implementing this in sim? I think this will useful for embeded programming.

Many of these issues don't arise in embedded system simulators that
don't provide a full UNIX-style process model (virtual memory, I/O,
etc.), so state save/restore is not that hard.  Our SID simulator has
some native (gdb-independent) state save/restore functionality, for
example, and it can include simulated I/O hardware.

- FChE