problem with breakpoints using gdb5.1, gcc-3.0.2 on Sun/Solaris ver 5.7

I set a breakpoint, get no errors, but program
never breaks.  These are set to line numbers that
normally break with other gdb versions including the
very first line of main().

The same gdb and gcc versions seem okay on Linux/x86
(though my testing there was otherwise limited so far).

I built gdb with no special configure options other than
a different install --prefix option.

I've guessed that maybe this relates to different ABI for
gcc 3.x and maybe there's some preferred way of configuring
gdb when building.

Anyone else with similar experiences or better yet solutions?

Thanks much

--John