Re: installing libiberty

> I observe that there are too many versions of libiberty.

There is one version of libiberty.  The gcc and src CVS repositories
are kept in sync at all times.  What you are seeing is that a given
release contains a snapshot of libiberty at a given time in the past.

> Why install them at all?

That's an old and lengthy debate, best served from the archives rather
than repeated now.

> How should users of corresponding packages use any version of
> libiberty?

They should import their own copy and use it directly, rather than
rely on some other package to provide a stable version.  This is what
everything in the gcc&src repositories does.  They don't use the
installed libiberty, but always build their own.