Re: how to format an error?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> Hmm, I'd go for the third.  If the message were to appear in a GUI box, it
> could well be a line of text on its own, such as
>
>          ************* ERROR **************
>          *                                *
>          *    This is an error message    *
>          *                                *
>          **********************************
>
> In such a context I think it would be very wrong to start this with a
> lower-case letter.

It usually comes with something before it, like in

         foobar: this is an error message

So I think the problem that bothers you mostly doesn't exist.

> Given that, (and that a litteral will never appear in the first letter)
> can we safely assume that we can capitalize the first letter during
> printing?

No.  That's exactly what we discovered in Emacs: you cannot assume
anything about proper capitalization, unless you are certain the message
will always be in US English.  Any assumption you make will break in too
many cases.