Bingo!!!

Ok...call me dumb...here's what happened.

I once tried to download the SRPM for gdb 5.1 from Mandrake but the link was
bad.  So I ended up downloading SRPM for gdb 5.1.1 from gdb homepage and was
using the generic one but still had it in my mind that I was using the
Mandrake's one.

I finally got to download the SRPM from Mandrake and it all ./configured
fine!  I am building it right now---hope it goes well.

So bottom line:  The generic source RPM from gdb's homepage does not work on
Mandrake 8.1.  The SRPM from Mandrake does!

Salman