gdbserver error (getprotobyname)

Hi,
  I am using gdbserver on a StrongArm board compiled
for arm-linux.  On my Linux x86 host I am running
gdb compiled to debug an arm-linux target.  Thanks
to Bill Gatliff for helping me out with this.

I can successfully debug a program if I use the serial
port between the host and the target.  This is great!

However when I try to use a network connection I get
the following error:  (below is a trace of my commands)

(target output)
# ./arm-linux-gdbserver davesplace:90 hello
Process hello created; pid = 180
getprotobyname: No such file or directory.
Exiting

(host output)
(gdb) target remote tuxscreen:90
Remote debugging using tuxscreen:90
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Remote communication error: Connection reset by peer.
(gdb)
#

Has anyone seen this type of error (i.e. getprotobyname)?

I start the gdbserver first as recommended by the GDB documentation.

man getprotobyname shows:
The getprotobyname() function returns a protoent structure for the  line  from
/etc/protocols that matches the protocol name name.

The /etc/protocols file is present on my StrongArm target.

# more /etc/protocols
# /etc/protocols:
# $Id: protocols,v 1.1.1.1 2001/09/12 19:03:24 andersee Exp $
#
# Internet (IP) protocols
#
#       from: @(#)protocols     5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#
# Updated for NetBSD based on RFC 1340, Assigned Numbers (July 1992).

ip      0       IP              # internet protocol, pseudo protocol number
icmp    1       ICMP            # internet control message protocol
igmp    2       IGMP            # Internet Group Management
ggp     3       GGP             # gateway-gateway protocol
ipencap 4       IP-ENCAP        # IP encapsulated in IP (officially ``IP'')
st      5       ST              # ST datagram mode
tcp     6       TCP             # transmission control protocol
egp     8       EGP             # exterior gateway protocol
pup     12      PUP             # PARC universal packet protocol
udp     17      UDP             # user datagram protocol
hmp     20      HMP             # host monitoring protocol
xns-idp 22      XNS-IDP         # Xerox NS IDP
rdp     27      RDP             # "reliable datagram" protocol
iso-tp4 29      ISO-TP4         # ISO Transport Protocol class 4
xtp     36      XTP             # Xpress Tranfer Protocol
ddp     37      DDP             # Datagram Delivery Protocol
idpr-cmtp       39      IDPR-CMTP       # IDPR Control Message Transport
rspf    73      RSPF            #Radio Shortest Path First.
vmtp    81      VMTP            # Versatile Message Transport
ospf    89      OSPFIGP         # Open Shortest Path First IGP
ipip    94      IPIP            # Yet Another IP encapsulation
encap   98      ENCAP           # Yet Another IP encapsulation
#

By the way my StrongArm is a tuxscreen. (see www.tuxscreen.net)

David