Re: Suggestion: Detect inconsistent structure definitions

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:13:37AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 07:07:08PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >
> > ... When do we have enough information to know that two references
> > are 'supposed' to be of the same type, rather than an
> > implementation-private type?  And in stabs, at least, no debug
> > information appears to be emitted for 'extern' statements, so we
> > don't know if a file referenced the type it had a different
> > definition of or not.
>
> I would argue that this situation is rare, and that most programmers
> are unlikely to think of incompatible structure definitions as the
> cause of a bug.  Therefore, how about a warning issued by default when
> the object file is read, but with a way to shut it up per-structure in
> .gdbinit?

I would wager a guess that this occurs at least once or twice in glibc,
somewhere.  Or in some other system's system libraries.  Or in the
application package some hundred graphics applications are using.  Or
something along those lines.

In any case, PR filed, hopefully someone will have time and look at it
soon.