Re: Problem with GDB5.1.1 on Readhat Linux for DINK32

Yoichi Kimura wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have been trying to use GDB on Redhat linux 7.1
> to communicate with DINK32 for PowerPC cross debug.
>
> To installed GDB for DINK32, I used following commands
> to install GDB on Linux..
>
> $> ./configure --target=powerpc-elf
> $> make
>
> Then, next, I entered following command.
>
> $> gdb -b 9600
>
> (gdb) target dink32 /dev/ttyS0
>
> Then GDB didn't work and few minutes after,
> GDB indicated as follows.
>
> "Timeout reading form remote system."
>
> And next, I entered following commands.
>
> (gdb) set remotebaud 9600
> (gdb) set remotedevice /dev/ttyS0
> (gdb) set debug remote 1
> (gdb) target dink32 /dev/ttyS0
>
> Then, DINK replied following prompts.
>
> \r\n<--
> read -->DINK32 [MPC8240] >>
>
> Although DINK return DINK32 prompt like above,
> we can't input any command through keyboard.
> Then GDB issue following things to display.

If you'll look at gdb/dink32-rom.c, you'll see that gdb is expecting
the prompt "DINK32_603 >>"

Your rom monitor is giving a different prompt.  You must have
a different version of the monitor (to the one that GDB was
ported to).

As a quick check, you could try changing the expected prompt
in gdb/dink32-rom.c, and see if you can get any further --
but it's fairly likely that you'll run into other similar
problems.

Michael