Re: adding namespace support to GDB

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 08:42:40AM -0700, David Carlton wrote:
> I recently asked Daniel Jacobwitz for suggestions as to what I could
> do to help GDB, and he suggested that I might try adding proper
> namespace support.  I've skimmed a thread on the issue from early
> April with lots of interesting ideas; at some point, it sounded like
> Jim Blandy was about to start writing up some concrete possible
> interfaces, and I was wondering if anything more came of that.
>
> For the time being, I'm going to reread that thread more closely, look
> at Petr Sorfa's module patch, look at the DWARF-3 standard, look at
> existing GDB code, and think about this for a while.  (Or at least I
> hope that's what I'm going to do: maybe I'll instead spend all of my
> time arguing with Stanford's benefits office.  Anybody know of any
> interesting free software jobs in countries with nationalized health
> insurance?)  But I don't want to duplicate effort if somebody else has
> already started working on this.

Meanwhile, I'm working on ugly namespace support - without all the
symbol table and scoping work that we'll need to make things quite
"correct", I'm trying to make the debug readers provide scope
information (mostly done) and the rest of GDB cope with it
(investigating).  I have patches for both stabs and DWARF-2 to generate
class and types names properly qualified, but because the rest of GDB
doesn't expect this they never get unqualified; we get things like

  std::bar std::bar::function(std::bar&)

because it doesn't know that the std:: can be elided.  Etc.

Hope to have more time to work on this next week.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz