Re: branching

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:30:26 -0700, Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com> said:
> On Sep 19, 12:12pm, David Carlton wrote:
>> And to merge changes in from mainline, here's what I might do, but I'm
>> confused by it:
>>
>> (All commands assume I'm in the branch's working directory, though it
>> shouldn't matter for the first command.)
>>
>> 1) Create a tag saying where the merges should end:
>>
>> cvs rtag carlton-dictionary-YYYYMMDD-tag gdb+dejagnu
>>
>> 2) Merge in changes from my previous merge tag to the current merge
>> tag:
>>
>> cvs update -j carlton-dictionary-PreviousYYYYMMDD-tag
>> -j carlton-dictionary-YYYYMMDD-tag
>>
>> (The first time I do this, the first -tag will actually be
>> -branchpoint.)

> Maybe I'm being naive, but why can't you just checkout your branch,
> and then do:

>     cvs update -j HEAD

Ah: maybe that's part of the answer: maybe I should do

  cvs update -j carlton-dictionary-YYYYMMDD-tag -j HEAD

(I'd missed the keyword HEAD.)

Section 5.7 of the CVS manual suggests that what you say isn't a good
idea, because it claims that CVS will try to merge in all changes to
head since the original branch, rather than all changes since I last
merged.  If that's accurate, I need to get tags on the head somehow so
that it doesn't try to merge in changes twice.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu