mapped symbol files: obsolete/deprecated?

Hi,

I tried to create a mapped symbol file with gdb-5.1 (using
-batch -nx -mapped -readnow ...), but gdb complained about
mapped symbol tables being "not supported on this machine;
missing or broken mmap()". This happened on Solaris 8, but
I could reproduce this also on Linux.

>From looking at gdb/objfiles.c I concluded that I needed to
configure gdb with --with-mmalloc. Now I was able to produce
a .syms-file, but reading this file into gdb failed with
an internal error from objfiles.c (function unlink_objfile).

Now I am beginning to suspect that this "mapped symbol file"
feature is, in fact, obsolete or deprecated (or at least
broken in gdb 5.1).

Any ideas or hints?

Regards
D.Ruppert