gcc 3.2, gdb 5.2.1, solaris2.8 sparc, slow

I noticed a recent thread regarding rather slow response from gdb. I am
experiencing the same thing on solaris 2.8, sparc platform. It is an
enterpirse class server, not the fastest thing sun makes, but not slow.

I built gcc 3.2
../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
--disable-nls --prefix=/homedir/markc/gcc --enable-languages=c,c++
--enable-shared --enable-threads

and then built gdb 5.2.1
mkdir build
cd build
/full/path/to/configure
make

using gnu make 3.77

solaris 2.8 sparc

gdb responds with the most simple programs, but anything that isn't dirt
simple seems to cause it to take forever to do basic commands.

I do "gdb myProgram", it starts right up, get the gdb prompt.

"info address main" never returns
"break main" never returns

CPU is peaked by gdb process

If I say "run", it eventualy runs

the program that is being run in gdb runs fine outside the debugger, isn't
really all that large, runs on several platforms, etc... it does load some
relatively average sized shared libraries (both from the OS and using
dlopen()). The program is multi-threaded.

It is a c++ and c program

The modules that contain main are compiled with -g. nm from binutils shows
lots of symbols.

trying to get away from Sun compiler, but a debugger is a critical
piece...

???

Mark,