Re: compatibility between gdb and stub

Hi folks,

I would like to know what is the policy regarding the compatibility
between gdb and the target stubs: as far as I understand, the way `g'
and 'G' commands work requires that the debugger and the stub have the
very same definition of the target's registers.

The file rs6000-tdep.c however, which was very similar in gdb 5.1 and
gdb 5.2, changed in the 5.3 branch, causing interoperability disruption
with older stubs, due to the definition of fpscr.

Is this correct ? Is there a policy for handling that kind of issues ?
Almost. GDB can change it's architecture, and hence, supported register set. See the command `set architecture'.

As for the underlying problem. remote.c is probably 50% through an overhaul that removes the restrictions such as you describe (its been in that state for a few months. Interested?).

enjoy,
Andrew