Understanding the GDB

Hello

I need to understand how the GDB work. I know it gets the symbol table
(Anything more?) from the BFD, but how it interprets this information is very
unclear. I haven't been able to find some basic documentation on how a
debugger uses this information. I know I can learn a bit from looking through
the GDB source code, but where exactly should I look?.

Do any of you know a link or a site with this basic information? - That would
really help a lot. I need to understand the debugging proces before I try to
understand the debugger :-D

Best Regards
James