Re: target-dependent .gdbinit

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>:
> It should be kept simple.  A GDB install should only read `.gdbinit'
> (the vx hacks, I think, should just go).  A user is then free to
> customize their .gdbinit to do things like read .gdbinit-$target, or
> even conditionally interpret sections of the init file.

yes, but if I'm the gdb maintainer for a site installation,
then sometimes I'll want site-wide gdbinit to handle
pecularities of the site.  telling all the users, "put this
in your .gdbinit" is unwieldy, especially if it may change
in the future.

specific instance of target-dependent .gdbinit: I've got a
gdb that will examine core files from a target OS with
shared library support.  gdb shouldn't try to map in the
host OS shared libraries.  the simple solution is to set
solib-absolute-prefix to a location that has the target OS
shared libs.  this is something you'd want to do in a
target-specific .gdbinit.  there is not necessarily one
setting that applies to the entire site.