Re: Demangling and searches

Paul Hilfinger writes:

 > For some time, I've been meaning to ask a basic question about GDB
 > search strategy: for language implementations that mangle their
 > identifiers, the standard procedure in GDB at the moment is to search
 > for the demangled identifier among the demangled identifiers of the
 > symbol table, and to speed this search up by precomputing and storing
 > the demangled symbol names.  Why?

Gdb did that orginally for c++. In October 2000 the behavior was
changed to do the search among the demangled names instead of the
mangled ones. This way it was able to do a binary search instead of a
linear one, given that the names are sorted on the demangled value.
I think that what prompted the change was this analysis:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-06/msg00024.html

Unfortunately there is still some lack of clarity around the partial
symbol handling. As David Carlton mentions. Partial symbols don't
store the demangled names.

Elena