GDB/MI

The debugger mode that uses GDB/MI which I am trying to write for Emacs uses a
queue but I can't get it initialised properly. This is why:

If I start with gdb -interp=mi mytest, I get

~"GNU gdb 2003-02-04-cvs\n"
~"Copyright 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.\n"
~"GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are\n"
~"welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.\n"
~"Type \"show copying\" to see the conditions.\n"
~"There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type \"show warranty\" for details.\n"
~"This GDB was configured as \"i586-pc-linux-gnu\"..."
~"\n"
(gdb)

I see that the text is now escaped with ~ so I know this is output for the
console. However, Emacs don't know that GDB is ready for input. With level 2
annotations, I get:

GNU gdb 2003-02-04-cvs
This GDB was configured as "i586-pc-linux-gnu"...
breakpoints-invalid

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zpre-prompt
(gdb)
^Z^Zprompt

and the prompt annotation tells Emacs that GDB is ready for input. Since Emacs'
interaction is asynchronous, the timing is wrong if I assume GDB is ready for
input immediately after its invocation. I think the initial output should be:

~"GNU gdb 2003-02-04-cvs\n"
~"Copyright 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.\n"
~"GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are\n"
~"welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.\n"
~"Type \"show copying\" to see the conditions.\n"
~"There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type \"show warranty\" for details.\n"
~"This GDB was configured as \"i586-pc-linux-gnu\"..."
~"\n"
^done
(gdb)

i.e GDB should notify its status with the ^done record.

I could look for the prompt (gdb) for notification and I imagine this is what
gvd does but the idea presumably is to have a machine interface and not rely
on output intended for the (human) user. For example this could be defeated
with `set prompt'.

I will file a bug report if someone agrees with my analysis.

Nick

Incidently, the string (gdb) that is output here is not the prompt but an
imposter as I get:

-gdb-set prompt (hec)
^done
(gdb)