Re: [maint] Guidelines for experimental branches

In article <3E648828 dot 3080502 at suse dot cz>, Michal Ludvig wrote:
> Andrew Cagney wrote:
>> + at item @var{owner}_ at var{name}-@var{YYYYMMDD}-branchpoint
>> + at itemx @var{owner}_ at var{name}-@var{YYYYMMDD}-branch
>> +The branch point and corresponding branch tag.  @var{YYYYMMDD} is the
>> +date that the branch was created.  A branch is created using the
>
> Is it necessary to have the date in the name of the branch? IMHO it's
> fine for the branchpoint, as well as for mergepoints, but for the branch
> itself it's useless. People could much better remember words than
> 8-digits chunks and having to look on the webpage everytime, when I want
> to check out a branch is boring.

If the branch is long lived, you may want to re-create it more than once
for performance reasons.  As you get farther and farther from the
branchpoint, CVS operations get increasingly slower.  If dates are too
long, you could also use 2-3 digit numbers.

Diego.