how to deal with command-line commands?

I think at first I should describe the work environment. mypath/gcc-2.95.3/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=$target_path ......
make
make install
First, I build a cross-gcc.Of course,I also build binutils and newlib.
mypath/gdb-5.2.1/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=$target_path
make make install
Second,I build a cross-gdb,and We want to do a similar environment to debug
our own simulator.So I want to know some gdb's work mechanism.We want to know how the "target sim"---compiled-in simulator to work.
My question is how compiled-in simulator identify the input commands from command line and then change to corresponding functions to deal with the commands.
I know the interface between gdb and simulator is remote-sim.h,but I don't know after we input a command and press "Enter" from gdb commmand line,how gdb and simulator deal with the commands. Thank you very much!
liu